Sunday, October 16, 2011

Adventures in Weaning!

I have decided that it is time to wean the little Diva. I have this terrible fear that if I don't hurry up and get with the program she'll soon be commenting in full sentences about the milk. "Yo mommers could you lay off on the spicy food - I feel like I have to chase my milk with some tums" or, "Mmm the almond butter  you had for lunch really enhances the flavour". I'm sure that in reality we are a LONG way from that but she has started trying to climb down my shirt in public and really I think enough people have already seen my cleavage without her adding the entire checkout line at the grocery store to that list.

So yes, we were at the point where I had decided to commit to this plan. The little Diva though didn't quite share my enthusiasm. The plan was to only breastfeed in the morning when she wakes up and in the evening before she goes to sleep. The rest of the day would be devoted to her sippy cup.

We tried a ridiculous amount of different bottles and formula's before giving up on those and moving on to sippy cups with homogenized cows milk. We tried cups with spouts, cups with nipples, cups with straws, cups with silicon spout things; we tried warm milk and cold milk and milk chilly right from the fridge and the responses were pretty much the same. The little Diva would chew on the spout/nipple/straw get a tiny bit of milk into her mouth and make a ridiculous noise. This noise sounded something like a mix of hissing and gargling and the point she's making was CRYSTAL clear. GROSS I DON'T WANT THIS!! 

So with this in mind we picked out the cup that was least offensive and planned to add cold milk right from the fridge (the least offensive way to drink it apparently). Day one of weaning was heartbreaking. The little Diva was so unimpressed with me. She knew what she wanted, and she knew that I KNEW what she wanted and she couldn't understand why on earth I wouldn't give her what she wanted! I kept offering the sippy cup and all manner of snack and tried to shush the little voice in my head telling me what a horrible human being I was. We finally reached a truce and went our for our errands - the horrible sippy cup in tow - and the little Diva slept pretty much the entire time we were out.

Day two went a lot better - she drank a bit more milk throughout the day and we didn't have any angry outburts aimed at yours truly. The little voice got a little quieter and a different voice started whispering about how big the Little Diva was getting and I felt a sense of nostalgia for the days when she'd fall asleep on my chest. We spent all that time in the hospital teaching and urging her to breastfeed and now I'm trying to convince her to move on to a cup. Yup the little voice is still whispering ever so quietly...

Anywho enough about the voices in my head and lets fast-forward a few days. We went to visit Granny and while trying to convince the Little Diva to use her sippy cup granny suggested trying a different bottle that she had. Granny's bottle was an INSTANT hit. I was absolutely floored. We spent so much time and money trying the other bottles and the one she's decided she likes is a teeny little Rubbermaid lunchbox bottle!! A lovely $2.57 at Walmart. Since the discovery at Granny the days have been a LOT easier. The little Diva is actually excited to see her bottle - now if I can only teach her not to shake and squirt it everywhere once she's had enough!

Best of luck to anyone else out there who is battling with weaning and the self inflicted guilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment