Saturday, October 22, 2011

Being Alive in the Moment..

I read a comment in my "Today's Parent" magazine where a mom spoke of combating stress by remembering to "live in the moment". I've been thinking a lot about that comment ever since. It has really resonated with me because I tend not to "live in the moment" a lot of the time. I'm so busy thinking about the next 3 million things I have to do that the present too often becomes a blur. I end up stuck in an anxiety filled puddle - worried that I'm not doing enough. Worried that I'm somehow less of a person because I can't seem to keep on top of the laundry and the cleaning and every other freaking thing I seem to think I HAVE to do!

Well that ends NOW.

Or rather, I'm going to work on ending this destructive pattern of thought day by day until I'm once again a happier, more relaxed individual. My family are my priority and as long as they are happy and healthy then the laundry can wait for another day. (Unless of course we're basically out of clothes: Then I might need to harness some stress to get it cleaned. I'm thinking that having to join a nudist colony will add another whole dimension of stress. I'm not a big fan of stranger nudity - especially if said strangers is doing something like mowing their lawn or stooping and scooping after their dog - UGH!)

Here's to focusing on the moments as they unfold. I tried this today while walking at the mall with the Little Diva. I stood tall, savored each sip (ok most of the sips) of my coffee and laughed with her as she sprinkled her treats and milk all over herself. Enjoying her enjoyment makes way more sense than being frustrated because she spilled her milk! Who cares!! In the grand scheme of things getting sticky is fun - and milk washes out :) Also, I'm sure there are a few critters living in the mall who are right now enjoying those treats!

Anywho I'm on my way to being "in the moment" as far as refreshing sleep goes. So I'll bid you all a GREAT, AWESOME and AMAZING night! Sweet Dreams all :)


No comments:

Post a Comment