Friday, December 30, 2011

Day 4 - Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake

 So today has been quite the busy one. The poor Little Diva is growing molars and they turn her into quite the grump-a-lump! She took two naps today which she hasn't done in AGES and then she was a wee bit of a handful to get to sleep after her bath. Here's hoping she's a happy camper tomorrow! I did end up making two pots of soup today - but it's already late and one of them still needs to be pureed - so I may blog about those later in the week. For now I figured I'd share a recipe I discovered and edited a few months ago. My sis-in-law was having a get together. The conversation went as follows:


Me - So do you want me to bring anything?

Sis - yes that would be great could you make a dessert?

Me - sure thing any requests?

Sis - how about a coffee cake?

Me - do you mean a coffee flavoured cake or a cake you eat with coffee?

Sis - a cake you eat with coffee..

Me - ok I haven't made one of those before but I will find a recipe!

 

We will skip over the part where sis-in-law was surprised at my lack of coffee cake experience. Trust me - I was equally horrified :D I guess I tend to make cakes with icing of some sort. Anywho to get to the point - I found a recipe and substituted buttermilk for sour cream, walnuts for peacans and the rest is history! This cake tends to get finished when taken to functions. Here it is - enjoy!

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 Cup Margerine
  • 5 ml vanilla essence
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 5 ml Baking Powder
  • 2.5 ml baking soda
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup chopped peanuts or walnuts 
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
 Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat sugar, butter and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add to sugar mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beating until well blended after each addition.
  2. Mix walnuts or pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon. Spoon half of the pecan mixture into greased donut shaped cake tin and top with a third of the cake batter. Repeat the layers.
  3. Bake 55 minutes to 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack. Loosen cake from side of pan with spatula or knife. Invert cake onto wire rack; gently remove pan. Cool completely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment