Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Baby Shots and Parental Trauma!!

So I had the fun mommy-job of taking the little Diva for her one year shots today. For some HORRENDOUS reason Health Canada has decided that the 12 month mark require 3 shots instead of the original 2..... one in an arm and one in each thigh. The poor little pin cushion was NOT impressed in the least.

I'm at a point where I think I'm going to start showing up an hour after the actual appointment because that seems to be the amount of time one has to wait at this office. What really bums me out is that we have to get the little Diva naked for her weight and measurements and then we get to hang out in a diaper for an hour while we wait for the Doctor. Being the paranoid mom that I am there is NO WAY I'd let her play on the floor and there's only so much shredding to be done of the paper covering the bed.. so I prance around the room like a lunatic pulling out every one of my Diva distractions! If I had my way I'd rather wait clothed for 40 minutes then do the weight etc and 10 minutes later the Dr. walks in. Maybe I"ll put a suggestion in the box... haha anywho we do love her doctor so back to the story: The visit started out well, she even smiled at her Doctor. Last time we were there she screamed hysterically from the moment her Dr entered the room - and last time she didn't even get a shot. Poor girl probably thought, "Well last time wasn't so bad maybe this Dr. Lady ain't all bad".... boy did she change her mind fast. I stood by helplessly as three of her limbs got stabbed with teeny little needles and then I got the biggest hugs. She sobbed hysterically, pulled away and glared at the doctor, did some shouting and more sobbing and within 5 minutes the horrible ordeal was over. She went back into her car seat without a peep and we went home. I figured she'd probably sleep the afternoon away. She had some milk and went down for a nap...

Then our neighbours decided it would be a GREAT time to CHOP WOOD in their garage. I'm not sure how I feel about our neighbours wielding an axe... The sound reverberated up through our house and woke the little Diva up. It wasn't too bad though because I'd realized our Tempra had expired and figured it was a good time to go pick up some more in case she started to get cranky or run a fever. I'm happy to say that we haven't needed to use it and despite the 3 pokes the little Diva was pretty much her usual wriggly self today. I have to admit I was surprised because I was anticipating at least a fever.

Anywho she is fast asleep and I'm tired too, post traumatic stress or something - I hate taking my little Diva for her shots even though I know it's for her own good and she's not likely to remember and hold it against me later on :) I think it's time to do some reading and then get some shuteye!

Night Night world - positive energy for everyone out there and especially for preemies and their parentals - hang in there things will get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment