Thursday, June 23, 2011

Second-hand Caffeine keeping the Diva awake?

For about a week and a half the little Diva would not sleep through the night regardless of the tricks I tried. Cereal closer to bedtime, protein in the afternoon, bath time later etc etc. I was doing a little online research and came across an article which suggested that Mom's caffeine intake may affect a breastfeeding baby's sleep and feeding patterns.

I thought to myself, "What's a few day's of withdrawal headaches if I can get some sleep?" So I cut out all the caffeine save for a cup of tea midday. Would you believe she slept through that very night and every night since? I have to admit I am a little skeptical, maybe she was a day from sleeping through any way, who's to say FOR SURE it was the coffee? Perhaps her teeth were bothering her and finally settled down or maybe be got used to a scary shadow that was bothering her on the ceiling...

I'm finding that I like sleep a little to much to test my theory by having a cuppa joe with the good stuff still in it! I'm sure at some point in the near future I'll slip up and my theory will get tested but for now, as long as I'm breastfeeding I think I"ll have to stick with tea or wimpy decaffeinated coffee. Speaking of which, I think I'll go brew a pot while the Diva sleeps. She's not entirely herself today and I'm monitoring a slight fever - if it gets any higher after her nap I'll be giving her a dose of Tempra. It seems the three needles from yesterday have caught up with her. She's not miserable; just a little more sleepy and snugly than usual. Here's hoping she feels better after her nap.

Before I go; has anyone else had issues with Coffee and breastfeeding?

No comments:

Post a Comment