Thursday, June 16, 2011

How do you get over being a germaphobe?

The question, "How to get over being a germaphobe" has been bugging me for a few weeks now. As a preemie parent, I am used to disinfecting people... I have used so much hand-sanitizer in the last year that Purell should be paying me for the amount of advertising I've done for them. Everyone who even came close to the little Diva was asked to wash their hands and then use the sanitizer. If you didn't pass the "are you sure you're healthy" questioning phase you didn't even make it to our porch let alone through the front door!!

In the last few weeks we have cut back on our hand-sanitizer use and as a result all ended up with a cold. Luckily the little Diva just ended up with a stuffy nose that has started to clear on it's own with the use of a humidifier. The hubby and I had two days of a sore throat followed by two days of coughing and general stuffy sinus grossness. Despite our first intro into "getting sick" territory we are still not fully relaxed around other people. I about have a conniption-fit if a stranger approaches the Diva with an outstretched hand. So far my tactful "jiggle-giggle-back-away-from contaminated digit" move has worked pretty well. If they are too persistent I simply explain that she was born three months early and we're pretty careful about what we expose her immune system to. A hasty " not that I think you're covered in germs" comment is thrown toward the would be groper if they are a friend who's being offended could pose problematic to happy family relations :) And yes... I do think that they probably are covered in germs :( I have unfortunately been made all to aware of germs and other nasty bugs and it's hard to come back from seeing everyone as a germ covered entity - but I am working on it.

I haven't yet had to deploy the "crazy protective mom slap" but I can guarantee if a sniffing/coughing or otherwise ill person attempted to touch the little Diva I'd deploy it without a second thought.

I've signed the little Diva up for swimming lesson's next month and I'm trying to convince myself that it will be fine. She's a year old and I really need to ease up a little. I'd really like to know how other preemie parents get over their obsessive cleaning and overall protectiveness. I want to be able to take the little monkey to play groups and let her interact with other children but I'd probably break out in a cold sweat if one of them coughed. I know that I"m being ridiculous... but I'm working on it!

Here's to being less paranoid, more healthy and sticking to that happiness plan :)

1 comment:

  1. So how did it go? Were you able to get rid of the germaphobe in you? By the way, kids have to develop their immune system and they cant do that if you constantly obsess from keeping them exposed to germs.

    ReplyDelete