Monday, July 25, 2011

Sleep is totally overrated - no wait I mean UNDERrated!

As you can imagine from the title to this post - Our household is a wee bit sleep deprived at the moment! It all started last night when I pulled off an almost picture perfect "get the Diva to bed" performance. She was bathed, fed and fast asleep in bed by 9:10pm! The hubby and I watched the latest episode of "True Blood" and thought we'd get to sleep early. What could possibly go wrong?

...

The little Diva woke up at 4am and I fed her. This in itself wasn't hugely out of the ordinary - since she started teething she's been waking up in the early mornings for a snuggle and feed and then she GOES BACK TO SLEEP... This morning though, she decided to mix things up a little and somehow remained WIDE awake through her mid-morning snack. I tried in vain to walk her to sleep and then Daddy gave it a shot. By this time it was 5am and I sent him back to bed hoping he'd get some sleep before the work alarm went off. I spent another hour alternating between walking, rocking, and feeding the little munchkin. There was some pretty crazy thunder and lightening that slowed down around 5:30am and I'm sure that had something to do with her not getting back to sleep.

I eventually did get her snoozing and snuck into bed. The poor hubby was still awake but was able to get in a few more hours of sleep before work. All in all though, we were a pretty chipper group today despite the lack of sleep. The little Diva was her usual happy self for the most part and when she got cranky a teether and a nap eventually fixed the grumpy attitude again.

As can be imagined we really didn't do much today so I'm hoping we all get some sleep tonight so that tomorrow can be a little more adventurous. I'm thinking we need to get the little Diva a sand box/turtle so she can learn a little more about different textures. She's got over her grass phobia and instead of standing on one foot like a flamingo she now sits herself down on the lawn and pets it with both hands. I'm just worried she's going to try taste it - but so far we haven't had to do lawn extraction from her cute little mouth!

We did chitchat to the neighbour a little today while watering the lawn and when she reached out and shook the little Diva's hand I'm happy to report I didn't actually slap her (A few weeks ago I'd have been running backwards before her hand could make contact with ANY part of the little Diva). I mean I did come back inside and wash the Diva's hand but I didn't freak out. Step by slow step I'll ease back on the germaphobia... If the neighbour had been coughing or looked sickly in any way I can guarantee she wouldn't have got close enough to shake a hand.

On that note though - the sleeplessness is starting to catch up with me and I better call it a night.

Sweet dreams to all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment