Saturday, July 30, 2011

This smells like South Africa!

So as of today we are trying to stick to our healthy diet again... We never really stopped following it exactly - we just got a little lax with sticking to the rules. Thanks to this new found commitment to getting slim and healthy I made sure that we got our two servings of fruit in today. We had a banana with breakfast and an orange with our dinner. I cut the orange up into slices because I'm not really a fan of peeling them.

As soon as the knife broke the skin on the first orange and the gorgeous fruity scent tickled my nostrils I thought to myself, "This orange smells like a South African orange". Imagine my surprise when I spun the orange around and actually saw "South Africa - Navel" printed on the teeny little sticker. I don't think I've ever had such a strong reaction to a fruit before. It sent me on quite the little trip down memory lane!

I've never really thought about the dissimilarities of fruit that are grown on different continents. I guess it does make sense though that fruit trees put a little something of the land they grow on - into their fruit. I wonder if there are any studies done of the "continental flavourings" of fruit!?

Countries flavour more than just the fruit they export. Even people tend to have a "flavour".. and NO I'm definitely not condoning cannibalism - ick! This flavour or quirkiness is why immigrants delight in meeting people from the same countries. One of my favorite things about Ontario is the multiculturalism here - I love that so many people from so many different continents/countries/walks of life, are for the most part able to live in harmony!

Wow was that even a tangent - all because an orange smelt like South Africa :)

I think I'll have to end off here with a question for you: What flavouring did your country of origin leave you with?

No comments:

Post a Comment