Sunday, August 21, 2011

Dear sinuses: you and I are not on speaking terms!

I am pretty sure that I have already threatened to remove my sinuses with a spork in an earlier blog entry. You can rest assured this threat is unlikely to ever be carried out because, A) I'm a wuss and B) I don't actually own a spork. Using a regular spoon or even a fork just doesn't sound like it would be all that effective.

It has been a while but I'm back at my sinus removal threats. This past week has been an exercise in allergy hell. I'm not sure which punk of a plant is flowering or which woolly mammoth of a creature is shedding but it's wreaking havoc with my nasal passages. I'm sneezing, dripping, scratching and pretty much all out whine-y and gross - heck I don't even want to be around me when I'm like this!

I finally decided I'd had enough and went to see my doctor on Saturday. She inspected all of my facial orifices and once again gave the verdict: ALLERGIES. She was not impressed that I hadn't been using my nose spray on a daily basis. I explained that because I'm still breastfeeding the little Diva I'm hesitant to take anything unless the symptoms are actually serious - ie: I'm in danger of keeling over as a result of said symptoms. I'm pretty sure my doctor resisted the urge to slap me at this point. She politely and patiently explained that the nasal spray she prescribed is even safe for use DURING pregnancy and that it is VERY safe for use while breastfeeding. She assured me I could even take several (obviously not all at the same time) of the over the counter allergy tablets in conjunctions with the spray she prescribed.

The entire time she was putting my mind at ease regarding the meds I pictured her repressing the urge to grab me by my suspenders, Shake me, get right in my face and yell, "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? Are you some kind of GRANOLA munching, tree hugging HIPPIE?!?! MEDICINE is NOT THE DEVIL - IT WILL HEAL you not hurt you!! SPRAY THIS CRAP in your FREAKING nose and you'll stop feeling like your sinuses are out to get you!!! USE THE SPRAY. YOU know YOU have Allergies - I KNOW you have allergies and thanks to my YELLING EVERYONE ON THIS BLOCK knows you have allergies. USE THE DAMN SPRAY!!!"

I pictured myself meekly thanking her and slinking out of the room.... So yes, I have allergies and hopefully by spraying this "unscented-but-burns-like-acid" nose spray in my nose twice a day I'll avoid the sinus infection that is looming thanks to my hippie tendencies...

Anywho it's late and I need to get me and my sinuses to sleep - till next time :)

2 comments:

  1. Funny. My doctor would sigh, look at his papers and declare, "I can give you the nasal spray, but it's only going to clear the symptoms."

    And then he will shuffle his papers, peer at me over his glasses and declare, "It's the food. Food is causing this."

    ReplyDelete
  2. My doctor doesn't seem to be "holistically" inclined! I did however bake some gluten free muffins and use Gluten free pasta... so perhaps I'll slowly avoid things and see if things improve :)

    ReplyDelete