Monday, August 15, 2011

The great Diaper hunt of 2011.7 (There have been a few already)

There is a recurring pattern with my diaper buying habits. This pattern or story if you will plays itself out once every couple of months - oh heck, who am I kidding; it's more like every couple of weeks. Diapers go on sale and I say to myself, "Self - you don't want to be one of THOSE people."

By "those" people I mean the ones who go completely loopy for diaper sales. They buy 10 boxes of diapers and half way through the first box their baby has a growth spurt in the nether regions and they are left with 9 and a half boxes of diapers that cause some serious muffin-top! So yes I tell myself that I don't want to be like the loony diaper hoarding savers. I then try and rationalize buying maybe 2 boxes of the Diva's current size and 1 or two of the next size up. This part takes a few minutes and I ALWAYS talk myself out of it. "Self" I say to myself, "Diapers will go on sale again and what if spontaneous potty training happens in the next two minutes - you'll be no better than THOSE people with their useless hoarded diapers!" I notice the strangers eying me suspiciously in the diaper isle and I wonder just how much I've said out loud...

I leave the store with two boxes of the Diva's current size of puddle protection and a sense that all is well in this department.

Fast forward a few weeks and the supply of diapers is running decidedly low. I frantically scan the flyers only to discover that the smaller box of her size is on sale at a few stores. I try one store.... then another.... and another. For some reason I can only ever find the 12 hour diapers in her size when I'm frantic to find more diapers. The over night diapers give the little Diva a rash so we stick to the cruisers 24/7. It's good if she decided she needs to go for a crawl at 1am. Good for her that is - I'm never happy with plans to crawl at that hour.

Anywho - so there you have it. I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to keeping our diaper stash in check. I've never actually run out but I have wasted way too much time looking for diapers. I even made the guy at No Frills go look in the back for more boxes. He came back empty handed and tried offering me a box of Huggies at the sale price. I repressed the urge to recoil in horror and politely declined. I wasn't careful enough hiding my reaction because he asked, "you really don't like these ones?"

I most certainly do not. I once had to cave and buy Huggies when more than a week went by without success during a diaper crisis earlier this year. It was a messy experience and I was left convinced of my Pampers persuasion. Don't get me wrong though - I'm sure Huggies are great; people just tend to be loyal to their brand. I was told that the Diva's diapers would be back in stock when the store opens so we will be heading there bright and early on Wednesday morning!

Anywho that's all I have for tonight - sweet dreams to all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment