Monday, April 2, 2012

Day 98 - Halaal Hot Cross Buns

Ok so I HAVE to share this because it is making me laugh and I figured there were more people out there who could do with a good laugh! So there is a Grocery Store in South Africa called Woolworths - I guess the Canadian equivalent is probably Longos, but that is really besides the point. Woolworths has upset a handful of Christians because their Hot Cross Buns are certified Halaal. Here is the news article *CLICK*

I cannot get over how ridiculous this is. Who freaking cares? If anything it would be nice to offer a Muslim friend a Halaal certified bun if they happen to pop over around Easter time. I'm all for sharing your religion - just not in the knock on doors and try and recruit method (I'm not judging though - I just wouldn't have the staying power to keep going with all the doors that get closed in your face). Every year I have a blast stuffing and cooking Halaal chickens to share the Christmas holiday's with my Muslim family; and every year I look forward to celebrating Eid with them too.

The little Diva is super spoilt with all of the family holidays she gets to celebrate. I think diversity is absolutely necessary and absolutely wonderful. Imagine how boring the world would be if everyone did and believed the same things. The way I see it - humanity is a diverse collective of souls and there is simply more than 1 road to God. And I use the term God loosely - you can fit "divine spark", "earth mother" or whatever you need to into that spot. As long as you're a decent human being and follow the golden rule of "do unto others as you'd have done to you" it really doesn't matter if you're Hindu, Catholic, Agnostic, Muslim, baptist, Anglican, Buddhist, Scientologist etc.

I really don't get why people are so freaked out by these buns. Seriously if your religion is so tied to a little fruit bun with a cross on it that you have to boycott a grocery store for making it Halaal then you really have bigger issues to deal with. The worst part is that Wolworths has bowed to public pressure and now offers Halaal and non-halaal buns. Which is just rediculous because you know the only difference between those buns is that one has "Halaal" stamped on the packaging. This makes me laugh way too much!

So after all that - I am planning to make hot cross buns this week - to share with both the Muslim and Christian side of our family. I'm contemplating putting circles on my buns. Perhaps the circles could symbolize Inclusion or unity. Stay tuned for that baking adventure. In the mean time here's wishing everyone a happy stress free evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment