Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Day 72 - South African Lemon Meringue Pie


crust first
then the lemony filling
last but not least the meringue!
 I made this for Dad A's birthday this evening. The grown ups enjoyed the Lemon Meringue while the Little Diva was more interested in eating the icing off of the cupcakes Dadoos had made; which meant I got to eat Cupcakes too!!

I figured that if they were frosting free they had to be even healthier; right? hehe All joking aside though we had a truly wonderful evening and I do NEED to get back on the treadmill tomorrow :D

If you've never experienced a South African lemon meringue I sincerely beg you to try it at least once. You don't know what yer missing!! Anywho I'm off to bed here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
Crust
200g Maria Biscuits
150g Butter or Margarine

Filling
2 Eggs (I tend to use 3)
1 tin of Condensed milk
100ml Lemon Juice
10ml Cream of Tartar
30ml Castor Sugar (I use regular)

Method to the Madness
Bake and Enjoy once chilled!
Set the oven to 305 degrees and grease a pie dish.

Melt the butter and blend with the crushed biscuits. Press into the pie dish and pop this in the fridge
to chill while you prepare the rest of the pie.

Separate the eggs. First beat the egg white until it forms nice stiff peaks. Beat in the Sugar. The sugar in my sugar bowl had a few red sugar crystals in it from Valentines day and that is why my meringue was pink - I quite liked it and might do this on purpose next time around. Pop the meringue in the fridge while you mix the final pie component.

Blend the egg yolks, condensed milk, lemon juice and cream of tartar on high speed until it gets nice and thick. Think at LEAST 5 minutes of beating.

Remove pie dish from fridge - pour in egg yolk mixture and top with the meringue. Pop this in the oven and cook for 20minutes - the peaks of meringue should be golden brown and the pie not ridiculously jiggly.

Let the pie cool and place it in the fridge for several hours to chill before serving.

ENJOY!!



No comments:

Post a Comment