Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Day 234 - Sneaky, Sneaky brownies!

When I was a kid I HATED spinach - there was absolutely no denying the fact that I was NOT fan. I didn't even care for it when it was drenched in my mom's amazing cheese sauce. There was just something totally and utterly off-putting about it's slimy green colour and slimy gag-inducing texture. I vividly remember plugging my nose and swallowing the stuff. No amount of mentioning "Popeye-esque" strenght could convince me that the effort to get the stuff down was worth it.

Fast-forward a whole bunch of years. I'm older and supposedly wiser and I've come to accept that spinach isn't all bad. I"ll chop it finely to add to soups or omelets and I'm not opposed to baby spinach in salads either. So when I came across a recipe for brownies that included it I knew I had to try it!

Here is the recipe I used - it is from the book SNEAKY CHEF which I now own and am looking forward to cooking and baking through. I imagine this recipe should be easy to convert to gluten free and even more low fat so I will try some tweaks on my next attempt. I'm thinking gluten free flour and almond flour instead of the oatmeal. Also I'm thinking dried cherries AND nuts would make it super duper decadent!

It took me forever to get the batter together as I was entertaining the little Diva who was sitting on her potty at the same time. We struck out on the potty training front today as she somehow managed to "hold it" for 3 and a half hours when I finally had to call it a truce and put a diaper on her so that we could go for our walk.

I finally got the batter in the oven and OH MY GOODNESS did it smell amazing once it started cooking. It was the most amazing warm chocolately scent. It made me think of all things good.

They took a while to cool down but the wait was definitely worth it. THEY ARE AMAZING! I mean you know that you're not going to eat these in place of a meal. They are not THAT healthy, but if you're going to eat brownies you may as well eat these ones! They were actually a lot tastier than many brownies I have tried. Definitely worth the effort.

Go on, try the recipe - YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!

Until tomorrow, toodles :)


No comments:

Post a Comment