Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Day 156 - Malva pudding!

One of my Aunts and Uncles is visiting from Calgary tomorrow - I don't think I've seen them since 2008 - CRAZY!! Anywho I am excited to see them and we will be heading over to my parents tomorrow night to have dinner with them. After we got the little Diva to bed tonight I quickly whipped up a Malva Pudding and some custard. The custard simply required me to follow the directions on the container. The Malva pudding recipe came out of a South Africa cookbook my mom gave me. I recently rediscovered it and have been making a few of the desserts featured. I am really enjoying the trips down memory lane!!

Anywho I am about to fall asleep on my keyboard so let me quickly share the recipe. The little Diva was up from 2am to about 4am this morning and it took a combined parental effort to get her back to sleep so we were both pretty exhausted today. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

Batter:
20ml butter
250ml sugar
2 eggs
12.5ml smooth apricot jam
5ml baking soda
125ml milk
5ml brown vinegar
250ml cake flour
pinch of salt

Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs on at a time and beat well after each addition. Add the jam and mix well. Mix the Baking soda into the milk and add the vinegar. Alternately mix the milk and the flour and salt into the sugar mix. Make sure to mix well. Spoon this into a well greased,  largish pyrex dish. Bake in an oven at 350 degrees or until a skewer comes out clean. As soon as it is removed from the oven you need to pour the sauce over it so be sure to prepare ahead of time!

Sauce:
250ml cream
180ml sugar
125g butter
125ml boiling water
5ml vanilla essence

Place all ingredients into a pot and stirring constantly bring to boil. Set aside until the dessert is removed from the oven.

Serve this dessert warm with custard! Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment