Monday, February 20, 2012

Day 56 - Family Day Oatmeal Raisin Cookies and a Playdate!

We had a lovely day today. It started out pretty darn early though - I have to thank the Little Diva for the 3:30am snuggles. She was kind enough to snooze until 8am after that though so this mommy got a little more sleep. At 8am The Little Diva and I went down for breakfast and then back upstairs to snuggle in bed with Daddy and watch a few episodes of her favourite show. I then made a batch of Oatmeal raisin cookies and after the little Diva had her nap we patiently waited for her little friend "A" to arrive with her mommy and daddy for a coffee/play-date.

The doorbell rang at one point and all three of us excitedly went to greet our guests only to be met by a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses. I hope they weren't too hurt when they saw my face go from "happy expectation" to "Oh dammit it's you guys again" to a "non-committal non-threatening not too too interested expression". Don't get me wrong I do appreciate what these folks are doing. They believe their faith calls them to knock on doors and spread the word and god bless them and their tenacity because I'm sure they get a LOT of doors slammed in their faces. If they weren't two dear "Grandma" looking individuals I probably would be less likely to listen to their 5 minutes spiel and accept their reading material. This time I get to read about why "Armageddon" isn't something to fear... super cheerful...Anywho so yes - I need to install and actually start using a peephole.

Right so moving on a few minutes later our guests arrived. We had a great afternoon. At one point the little Diva was eating a cookie when her little friend  scootched closer - opened her mouth for a bite and when she realized the little Diva hadn't notice her attempt to get some cookie simply took the whole thing. The little Diva stood there with an incredulous expression on her face as "A" tucked into her cookie and looking at daddy said, "Coooooookie!!!" She soon had a replacement cookie and both little girls were happy again!

They had a blast and I'm happy to report that they pretty much ate all of the cookies crumbs that ended up spread through the living room. The Roomba is going to feel a little hungry after his morning run tomorrow!

I actually lifted and vacuumed under my couch cushions several day ago and was horrified by what I found in there. I was expecting the cheerios and crispies...

but cheese?

Seriously?

CHEESE?

When did the little Diva eat shredded cheese on the couch. I don't recall this happening but I guess the proof speaks for itself. :)

Anywho that was another exciting day in the life of a parental to a little Diva. Before I head off to dream land here is the recipe I used to make the cookies. I added almost a cup worth of raisins and topped that up with white chocolate chips. The only reason I did that was because I didn't have enough raisins! Here as always is the text recipe right off the website:

Ingredients

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1 cup quick cooking oats or walnuts

Directions

  1. In a medium bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in oats. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour.
  2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. Roll the dough into walnut sized balls, and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Flatten each cookie with a large fork dipped in sugar.
  3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment