Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day 37 - Pizza Base from SCRATCH!

So my lovely Sis-in-Law "M" visited today with her lovely kiddies E and B :) We had a wonderful day and the Little Diva enjoyed playing with her cousins - we had one mini meltdown when cousin B was playing with the Little Diva's Thomas the Tank engine. When the waterworks started he hurried Thomas over and after a few sniffles all was forgiven!

We had a wonderful time and then it was over to Dadoos and Dadda for dinner. The Little Diva had a blast there too especially when her cousin R shared his iPod her her... Our kids are such technology superstars! It's only a matter of time before they've mastered teleportation and they're laughing at us because we're old fuddy duddy's who push the wrong button and end up in the wrong time zones.... potentially spliced and in need of technical support!

hehe so yes - hopefully that is still AGES away. For now I want to share a pizza base recipe that has been our family recipe for pretty much as long as I've owned "Cooking is Fun" by Margaret Ramsbottom. This has got to be one of the coolest starter cookbooks EVER. I was super thrilled to bond over the book with my sis-in-law! What are the odds that she had and also still has the same recipe book as a kid. AWESOME - just FREAKING AWESOME!!

Ok so now that I've used up my allotted capital letters for this blog let me wind it down before we hit midnight and I miss my deadline. I decided to make pizza for lunch and after checking with M discovered that her kiddies like pineapple, cheese and bread and butter pickles on their pizza! It turned out to be an AWESOME combination (eek over on my caps!). I did also put tomato paste on the base as well as a sprinkle of Italian spices. I put down the grated cheese and then added the pineapple and pickles on top of the cheese.

The reason for this was mostly because I couldn't open the pickle jar. I kept hoping M would arrive and be able to open it for me. Eventually all other layers were on the pizza and I HAD to get the jar open. I whacked it a few times with a butter knife and miraculously it opened! Yay... so yes without further ado - here is the pizza base recipe. I ALWAYS double it :)

Ingredients:
45 ml butter or margarine
375 ml (1 1/2 Cups) Self-raising flour
pinch of salt
125 ml (1/2 Cup) milk

To Do:
Set oven to 350 degrees F. Rub the butter into the flour and salt until it resembles bread crumbs (you can do this in a mixer). Add the milk and mix to a soft dough (you can do this in a mixer as well). Grease a pizza tray and either roll out the dough with a rolling pin or do what I do ---> Break pieces of dough off and push into the tray until you have an even and full base.

Add tomato paste and ingredients to your taste and then simply bake the pizza for 20 - 30 minutes.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment