Sunday, January 8, 2012

Day 13 - More New Canadians and Some Maple Goodness!!

My Mom and Dad are becoming Canadian Citizens tomorrow!!! YAY!!! I'm so happy for them!! My citizenship ceremony was truly a memorable moment for me. I am super happy and proud to call myself a Canadian Citizen. So I figured I needed to make something Canadian to take for tea/coffee afterwards. The obvious ingredient that came up was MAPLE SYRUP. So I did some Googling and decided to make some Maple cookies. I used a recipe I found online and halved it. I added a few things and put walnuts in half of my batter and left the other half smooth so that the Little Diva could have these without choking on the nuts! Turns out both her and the hubby are bigger fans of the nut free ones. Hope you like them as much as we do :)

Ingredients:
Cookies waiting to go in the oven!
1/2 Cup margerine softened
1/2 Cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup REAL maple syrup
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp baking soda
1/4pinch of salt
2 1/4 Cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cups walnuts if desired
1/3 cup mixed brown sugar and white for decoration

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add the egg, syrup and vanilla and continue to mix until well blended. Add the flour, salt, baking soda, spices and nuts if you are using them. Mix well. Shape the batter into 1 inch balls and roll in the white and brown sugar mixture. place them on parchment paper on your cookie trays about 2 inches apart. Flatten each cookie slightly with a fork and bake for 9 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack. 

The mixed sugar makes these cookies extra sparkly - they look like maple jewels and taste fantastic - at least we think so! 


sparkly Maple Cookies!


No comments:

Post a Comment