Monday, January 30, 2012

Day 35 - 30 Day Muffins

Ok so the recipe I used today has been a part of my recipe repertoire for as long as I can remember. My mom used to make them quite often when we were kids too. I have no idea where the recipe originally came from, but it is definitely a keeper. I only made one "tweak' to the recipe today. The reason for my tweak is because our household is not entirely a giant fan of cooked raisins. So instead of the cup of raisins I put in half a cup of hemp hearts and half a cup of sunflower seeds. The hemp hearts gave the muffins a lovely nutty flavour. Oh and I sprinkled oatmeal on the raw muffin mix but that's really more a "decoration" that a recipe tweak! Also I know the mixing instructions are a little detailed but I just threw everything into my kitchen aid and mixed well.... I'm not sure how this effected the end product but they were delicious so I'm likely to do that again.... :) Ok so yer perhaps that was more than one tweak....Anywho without further ado here are the yummy fibre filled muffins!


Ingredients:

2 extra large eggs
250ml soft brown sugar
125ml oil
500ml milk
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
5ml salt
2 Cups Bran
1 Cup Raisins
1 Cup coconut

Method to the madness:

Grease muffin pans (I made 18 huge muffins by filling the tins to the brim. The original recipe calls to fill them 3/4 - that should apparently yield 30 muffins).

Sift flour, salt and bicarb together. Beat eggs until pale yellow - gradually add sugar beating well. Add oil while beating.

Add milk and dry ingredients alternately. Mix well. Stir in bran, raisins and coconut.

Spoon into muffin trays and bake at 390 degrees F for 15 - 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

This muffin mix can apparently be kept in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a month so you can bake them as you need them. I feel a little icky about keeping batter for that long so to be honest I've never done it. I just bake the whole batch and freeze the muffins for later munching.



2 comments:

  1. Diva's Mama, uhm,..are hemp hearts hemp, as in dagga?

    Confused Dutch-ess

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe

    Dear Dutch-ess - Yup that would be hemp hearts as in dagga. Apparently they are hugely nutritious etc! And no unfortunately they didn't turn my muffin's into "Special" muffins LOL

    A website I found had this to say, "The hemp plant is also called "cannabis Sativa" but as an industrial plant grown for food, it has no THC, the active chemical that is in marijuana. Industrial hemp is grown for both food and fibre. "

    ReplyDelete