Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Day 15 - Macaroni Cheese & Vegetables

I made a healthy version of Mac and Cheese today! I have to admit it turned out better than I expected. It's from a diet book so I was a little skeptical :) Hope you try and enjoy it!

Ingredients:
140g raw macaroni
100g onion sliced (I used green and regular)
50 g carrots I grated mine
50g celery chopped
100g mushrooms chopped
100g asparagus chopped
50g broccoli chopped
1 egg
2 egg whites
60ml skim milk
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp Italian spice
freshly ground pepper
salt to taste
120g low fat Mozzarella cheese
40g Parmesan cheese grated
20g breadcrumbs

What ya do:

Cook the macaroni and steam the veggies. The recipe said "until almost done" but I cooked mine both properly. In a pot over low heat whisk together the milk, eggs, salt, pepper, spices and 70g of the mozzarella cheese and all of the Parmesan cheese. Add the pasta and veggies and cook for 2-3 minutes - the mix will begin to thicken as the egg cooks and the cheese melts. Spoon the mix into an ovenproof dish. Combine the crumbs and the remaining mozzarella and sprinkle this over the macaroni. Bake in a preheated oven at 385 for 20minutes. The top should be crisp and golden - serve hot and enjoy :D

No comments:

Post a Comment