Friday, January 13, 2012

Day 18 - Slow cooker Chilli!

I only recently got introduced to the world of slow cookers (Oh goodie delayed gratification) but have to admit I'm already a fan! Thank you to my sister for leaving her slow cooker here when she moved back to South Africa. My tummy owes you one!

There is just something extra yummy about food that's been cooked that long.... mmmm tender yummyness. I have one rule though - if I have tried the recipe once and it turned out great I will at very least double the recipe the following time. I figure if I'm going to cook something for 8 hours I am going to make it WORTH my while. Also how great is it to have ready to go meals in the freezer for those - "just can't find the time to cook" moments. I considered tripling the beef chilli recipe but there was no way it would actually fit.... the prospect of cleaning chilli off the shelf and floor didn't really appeal to me. Anywho here is the recipe in it's singular form:

Ingredients:
15ml oil
250g onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
360g beef mince
3tbsp corn starch
200g red/green or yellow peppers, diced
480g tomatoes finely chopped or pureed
500ml water
2 beef stock cubes
2 bay leaves
5 ml chilli powder or to taste
1 tsp sweet basil
1tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp paprika
salt and pepper to taste
500g Kidney Beans

What to do:
Heat oil in a pan and add all of the vegetables. Mix in the corn starch and spices. Stir and fry these for about 5 minutes - I added the water as well to keep the corn starch from gelling too much. Transfer the veggies to the slow cooker and add the meat , beans and stock cubes. Stir well - set the slow cooker to high and cook for 8 hours. Enjoy :)



No comments:

Post a Comment