Monday, January 9, 2012

Day 14 - UGH the fish conundrum!

So it has come to my attention (again) that consuming fish might not be as healthy for you as you may think. SIGH.

I HATE fear mongering, but I especially hate the kind of fear mongering that has a ring of truth to it. So yes - we need to be careful about the mercury levels in our fish. The bigger predatory fishes are apparently awash in this terrifying substance.The information I found on Health Canada's website was from 2007. I can't help but think that this might be a wee bit outdated. But for what it is worth HC says that the general population can eat up to 150g a week of the large predatory fish that fall into the "watch for mercury" group. Those women who are pregnant, trying to become pregnant or breastfeeding are only allowed 150g per month and children between 5 and 11 can have 125g per month. Children between 1 and 4 years of age have a maximum allowance of 75g per month. 

So which are the offensive fish you ask? Health Canada says these guys: 
fresh and frozen tuna
shark
swordfish
escolar
marlin
orange roughy

Health Canada does have rules in place that have maximum amounts of mercury that fish is allowed to contain in order to be sold in Canada. Although this makes me feel a little better I'm not exactly excited by the prospect of  any mercury in my fish.

Further reading had me understanding that Albacore Tuna (canned) has it's own allowable amounts per month as it's mercury levels are generally higher. Light Tuna however does not contain Albacore and apparently has mercury levels way below what Health Canada allows. So YAY to that - at least we haven't been eating the really scary one!

Health Canada suggests that we should eat two 75g servings of fish per week. They suggest fish that are high in Omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon, herring, sardines, char, Atlantic mackerel and rainbow trout. These guys also apparently tend to be low in mercury.

Ok so after reading that I decided to check out "Eat Right Ontario's" website as well.  They had similar information and advice. They listed the same "top offenders" as the Health Canada Website. Once again Light Tuna was considered safer. They suggested the following fish (etc) as healthier alternatives:

Salmon
Anchovy
Char
Herring
Atlantic mackerel
Pollok (Boston bluefish)
Smelt
Rainbow trout
Lake whitefish
Shrimp
Clam
Mussel
Oyster
Cod
Haddock
Halibut
Sole
Scallops and Squid
Snapper
Perch
Bass 
Tilapia

After reading all that I ran into this website. ARGH... so in addition to the mercury levels this website points out which fish are in danger of being wiped out due to over fishing etc. So add FEAR and GUILT to the list of reasons you shouldn't eat fish! I'd become a vegetarian but I'm sure there are reasons not to eat certain veggies over and above all the toxins they spray on them!!! Why does everything have to be scary.....

So yes - I haven't exactly left you with a recipe tonight. Rather I've given you a tonne of information and troubling thoughts about the fishy things we eat. I'm not sure if we should run screaming from every body of water we see or not.... Oh well - I'm super sleepy and wondering which fish I should try now.... suggestions anyone?


No comments:

Post a Comment